With the aim of reaching out to the most vulnerable members of the community, who do not have access to our services or even, in some cases, to social services, we have worked with companions to set up a mobile clothes bank.
As we are located on the outskirts of the city, many people are unable to get to our shop. Furthermore, we have observed that that many people have a real need for clothing, particularly during the winter months.
Set up like a second hand shop (but free!), offering quality clothing, we travel to two specific locations (a day centre and a spot on the road). This project is carried out in partnership with the association Le Fournil, which distributes food.
6 companions (carrying out the activity)
2 employees (1 leader, 1 social worker to coordinate)
This project is being carried out in partnership with the association Le Fournil.
- Observation by companions that there was a need to help those living on the streets, under the Emmaus tradition “come and help me to help”.
- Picking up the idea of a mobile clothes bank.
- Meeting with partner associations to build the project together.
- Establishing an action plan.
- Selection of clothes to distribute.
- Initial test runs.
- Sustain the initiative at a frequency of once every fortnight / every month.
- Provide clothes for families (the demand exists).
- Provide sleeping bags, maybe even tents.
Positive feedback from companions, from our partner association and also, most importantly, from those who have benefitted from the initiative who have been able to refresh their wardrobes with some (nearly) new clothing.
Providing access to warm winter clothing and also allowing people to choose (depending on different tastes and preferred colours), helping them to regain some dignity.
Companions have been enthusiastic about being able to help vulnerable members of the community.
We have renewed our ties with the association Le Fournil, and in the future we would like to once again form part of the local network of associations.
We will develop partnerships as we go.